This blog is about living the American Dream at the dawn of the new millennium! I am a nameless, mid-20s, bottom 150 Law School Graduate who finds himself marginally attached and awash in a sea of overeducated but underpaid, indentured peers who feel, and were, duped by the promise of a better life through debt and modern chemistry. Let's get to the point. The Law School Industrial Complex is a scam that has destroyed a generation out of greed. Vendettas were once legal and the pursuit of one was seen not only as moral, but necessary. This newly minted lawyer is going to continue the practice. DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU MORONS! Ce qui suit est ce qui reste!

Sunday, December 1, 2013

End of the Beginning: Fight the Good Fight

Oh my dear dear zero lemmings, if only you truly grasped the implications of the mistake that you are making in attending any law school whatsoever--especially now--regardless of US News Ranking...you would think otherwise.  But understanding only comes from experience, so you have that to look forward to...dumb bastards.

Fortunately, after so many years and more public scrutiny than I, or the collective scamblogging community combined, could ever provide...you may finally seem to be picking up on the pointlessness of your schizophrenic delusions about  the lawyering.  

This realization seems to hold true despite the best efforts of various law schools shills, and those who benefit from your ignorance, that regularly declare the Juris Doctorate to be worth the ludicrous sum of time, money and effort to obtain...

"Oh it's so versatile!...Oh you learn to think!...Look I got bills--Just give me the money you stupid fucker!..." 

All of this, so that you waste billions of dollars of someone else's money filling the coffers of a few.  Then again that's the story of 90% of our modern economy (*See snapchat).  

Money that you, permanently indebted, will forever work to repay to no avail because those in power decided to favor one group of people over another.

Photobucket Photobucket  
PhotobucketPhotobucket

The fact that our "institutions of learning" have reached this point, and that this is basically common knowledge, is disheartening to say the least.

It's also not the first time that a society has decided to structure itself this way.  I couldn't have summarized the situation better than the authors did here:

Death by Degrees by N+1

The entire note is eloquent in its execution and logic, but my favorite excerpt is the following:

Americans have been affluent enough for long enough that it’s difficult to remember there was once a time when solidarity trumped the compulsion to rank. The inclusive vision that once drove the labor movement has given way to a guild mentality, at times also among unions, that is smug and parochial. To narrow the widening chasm between insiders and outsiders, we must push on both ends. Dignity must be restored to labor, and power and ecumenicism to labor unions. On the other side the reverse must happen: dignity must be drained from the credential. Otherwise, the accreditation arms race will become more fearsome. Yesterday’s medals will become tomorrow’s baubles, and the prizes that remain precious will be concentrated in fewer and fewer hands.

By attending law school in and of itself, I had unwittingly given in to the machinations of my socioeconomic class.  At the detriment of others I might add....that was never my intention, and if I had known then what I knew now I would never have done it.  But "intentions," as I learned in law school, whether good or bad don't make up for actions.

It's an error that I'll be correcting the rest of my life, not that any of you will ever know, or really anyone else besides a select few.  The most that I have explained in prior posts about my personal story is by coming from the "right family" with "good networking connections" in America, my decision to go to law school ultimately made no difference to my prospects.  That's not true for many of my friends and classmates.  

And that difference in outcome is the sole reason I took to time to write on this blog. 

=====

I've hinted at it several times but this will be part 1 of the "winding down" of  Outside Lies Magic.  

I just don't have it in me anymore to rage against the dying of this lie.  Not when so many others are doing it for me so publicly and so loudly.

I feel like I've done my part and I have nothing more to add to the conversation (but just one more time, for good measure...Fuck you Brian Tamanaha!!! Fuck you and all of the other law school deans, administrators and professors that you embody, you're all no better morally than war profiteers or people who sell server space in the cloud to pedophiles).

 photo tumblr_mmrfixWyJw1s8dp1zo1_500_zps2ecb829c.jpg  photo tumblr_mmrfixWyJw1s8dp1zo2_500_zpsabe5daf5.jpg  photo tumblr_mmrfixWyJw1s8dp1zo3_500_zpsb0fbf1d8.jpg
I do not take any credit for any impacts or effects, whatever those may be, of Scamblogging's collective efforts.  

If any history were compiled of this brief flutter, I would say that, at the very least, the scambloggers had a a strong influence in raising awareness of the issue.  That awareness resulted in such things as Brian Segel's articles in the New York Times, which became a watershed moment--a watershed moment in stating the obvious.

How much did/do we contribute though? That's a question best left to more impartial scholars, should they ever care to examine this point in time.  

We certainly scared the shit out of the ball-less establishment and the embedded, feckless fucks known as "educators" or as I prefer to label them Crypto-Nazi Academic Fuckers (or as Nano says Pigs/Rapists/Pedophiles...although I think I first introduced the term rapist in describing professors...yay for me?).  

Photobucket


For the ideal academic is there to advocate for the unpopular position because it's the right thing to do, whereas people like Campos had their "epiphanies" while staying in a motel after some bullshit conference in some kind of mid-life crisis what the fuck has my life meant period.  Those like Kimber Russell and Brian Tamanaha came to realize someone would actually give a shit about something they said and they could use it as a springboard for something better than what they currently have (Oh you didn't raise tuition Brian?! That proves you care and that you were ahead of the curve?! Go fuck yourself Brian!!! Go fuck yourself until every hole in your body bleeds uncontrollably!!!  Kimber...fuck you still you know what you did).

I think it's hilarious that my blog, if ever mentioned compared with others, is used as an example of some kind of pent up Jacobean rage that will consume the wealthier people in society in a homicidal blood lust.  Somehow my blog became a bottom signpost for hatred and rage.

I guess that makes sense in a vacuum, but not when compared to the behavior and ultimate result of those I criticized.  

For me, the fact that I used "strong" or "offensive" language like rapist, nazi, pedophiles, fuckers, etc. to describe those in positions of power at law schools will never be worse than the initial offense that I was trying to describe.  We are talking about a concerted, deliberate effort that has permanently destroyed individuals, yet I'm the monster.

That's so fucking ridiculous you have to laugh.

Photobucket

In reality, as many people have either asked or guessed at on several occassions, this entire blog has been an overly hyperbolic, exaggerated circus done for rhetorical effect.  

Demosthenes, are you a character? Are you serious? Do you really think like this?

If I, as an anonymous law school grad, had presented my arguments in a serious, well rationed presentation...then a fewer number of people than who already have would have ever visited this site in the first place.  

No one would have given two flying fucks.  

Exhibit A: Miley Cyrus and Cat


But by being outrageous and ridiculous, I made people like Brian Tamanaha, whose testicles could be found wanting for the majority of his existence, actually take the effort to reassert some kind of position.  *Wink wink if anyone knows the history of Huey Long, FDR and the democratic party, they'll know that, as Frederick Douglass stated, Power concedes nothing without demand...by pushing farther than is reasonable, we actually end up where we should be. 

No no, it took Nando to post pictures of shit covered toilets next to a "prestigious" school's name for anyone to take notice. 

Based on the way that our society now processes information, Obama should have just fucked a dead animal with a sign that read "Health Insurance Costs Alot" rather than making an evidence based, logical argument about his Affordable Health Care Act.

Photobucket

I came into scamblogging by accident...as an uninterested observer and sometimes commenter who fell into an advocacy role (ironically the same position that most "hero" attorneys find themselves in those pro-lawyer stories, see Philadelphia, Rainmaker, To Kill a Mockingbird, etc. ad infinitum).  

When I started posting, scamblogging was in its nascent stage, an infancy in both purpose and goals.  I had no idea, that for the majority of people regardless of subject area, that the package they were sold was a complete lie.

Photobucket
 
I say this not to discredit the efforts of true advocates like Nano, Crynn, etc., but I honestly don't know how much of scamblogging is just the simple "pointing out the obvious."  Although others have said that during times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Even if scamblogging had never existed, which I find dubious/impossible, the reality of the situation for law school graduates, and many other products of non-profit higher education, would be the same.

I came across these blogs, by other anonymous posters many of whom are no longer posting, before it was such a cause celebre that law school professors, looking at you Campos and Tamanaha, decided this could be their claim to fame in terms of market capture (as no one paid any real attention to their prior efforts).  

Why do I bring this point up about the potential bias, or as you could say motivation, of professors?

Simply, I don't fucking believe anything that people like Campos or Tamanaha, Henderson or Leopold, Kimber Russell, etc. etc. will ever say about this as long as they benefit from the perpetuation of the system or the notoriety they achieve from criticizing it (especially Kimber the Cunt).

Photobucket
*The above picture is the best representation of my current state of mind regarding education, artwork is entitled "Mezzanine" by Mansur.

Ultimately, my generation is just a profit stream for their elders (in a way that has never been true before except I guess for child workers in the guilded age).  Not a profit meaning the provision of some kind of value to us, but instead profit in the worst sense of the word.  

As Nando might say, the baby boomers, but specifically those who directly benefit from thousands of young people going through higher education, are in fact exploiting, indebting, destroying my generation.  It is a complete perversion of the purpose, intent and promise of education generally, but specifically education at the college/graduate/professional school level.

The fact that this has occurred at law schools, the very same institution that claims to be a bulwark for all good things in civilized society.  The institutional members who claim to be prophets/advocates for the ideals and realities that the unenlightened masses are not prepared for makes it that much worse.

I will never know the degree to which my criticism of the law school industrial complex is influenced by my general maturation versus the moral failure of the enterprise.

 Photobucket

 I do think that my generation, as alluded to in Fight Club, is the first to be raised on the premise that "You can do anything! Go live your dreams!" compared to the reality of those who came before them.  For my grandparents, who grew up around WWI, were raised in the Great Depression and endured WWII, the idea that life is about fulfilling your fantasies and living your dreams is the most ridiculous shit that one person could ever say to another.  Even more ridiculous than "Oh yea, there is one, true, just God who loves you and if you do what he says you will be welcomed into a miraculous kingdom of heaven." *Hint hint probably not the case either...at least there's no evidence supporting it other than traditional assertive literature which, by itself, is negated by the fact that there are numerous variations of the same myth (sorry Christians!!!).

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the support, Demos. The scambloggers deserve most of the credit for the shrinking numbers of applicants and LSATs administered. The ball-less shills and academic parasites love to complain about the pictures of excrement on my blog. Yet, I knew early on that I needed to garner more attention to the law school cartel.

    As you stated above, you or I could have put forth solid arguments, charts and graphs showing that law school is a garbage investment for students. Law School Tuition Bubble is a great site, but how many people read that work? If not for the visual rhetoric, David Segal and the New York Times would not have karate-chopped the law school swine in the throat, snout and balls.

    We had to grab their attention somehow. Plus, we were able to do so by backing up our case with the facts - mostly from the ABA-accredited commodes and trash pits. How can the bitches and hags argue against their own numbers?

    Thanks for the role you played in getting the message out to prospective law students. I go to bed every night knowing that we have prevented many people from the financially ruinous decision of attending law school. It feels great knowing that we have done good work, and did so without selling out or changing course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thank you for your good writing. You're doing God's work. My life has been dismantled by law school and I don't think I will ever be able to recover. I would like others to avoid my dubious life.

    ReplyDelete