"When is a crisis reached? When questions arise that can't be answered." ~ Ryszard Kapuściński
There's really no other way to describe the following video which I first caught on one of my favorite blogs out of some kind of
Some of the salient points that Professor Brown makes are as follows, just in case you're too fucking lazy or uninvested to watch the whole thing.
10 things that happen when you bring privatizing market values into the public university system -- thus destroying it, i.e. what is at the root of the law school scam (important to note as the speaker does, these things already exist in the system it's just a matter of degree...which is steadily reaching dominance).
1) Decreased Commitment to Education - Shift from Meritocracy to Plutocracy, a turnaway from equal opportunity, the rush for out of state tuition for revenue purposes
2) Increasing Inequality in Every Strand and Strata of the University - A diminished sense of shared purpose - concretely it means huge salary differentials between faculty within and between departments
3) Decreased Support for All Elements of the University that are NOT entrepreneurial - i.e. decreased support for all aspects of curriculum and research that are that are not readily applicable or commodifiable (especially humanities, arts, social sciences, etc. but a huge focus on "business" or "human resources")
4) Deteriorating Support for Basic Research as Opposed to Applied Research - if it doesn't have the potential for generating money in a market then fuck it. No Einstein, Darwin, Aristotle but by all means let's find the next Bill Gates, Genetic Modified Foods, Campaign Strategists (what Peter Thiel is likely doing with his "dropout" program)
5) Research Increasingly Contoured By and To Corporate & State Funders - risks compromise/corruption by need to attract funders (i.e. big pharma in med schools, military funding for anthropologists in counterinsurgency efforts, etc.)
6) Privatization Means Restricted Academic Freedom on Many Levels - pressure for application & sponsorship, silencing "troublesome" faculty,
7) Increased Exploitation of Workers - privatized & privatizing institutions are historically & practically more hostile to unions, more effective at breaking them, fewer labor regulations, more likely to use part time workers to keep unions weak
8) Shrinking from Public Values & Concerns - monitoring work conditions in sweat shops becomes verboten because corporations are behind endowments & gifts to leverage interests, Harvard Medical School has 3 professorships sponsored entirely & exclusively by the money derived from sleep medicine rather than something like malaria which is a huge public good for a great number of people....but not profitable.
9) Replacing Shared Governance with Business Management Principles - increased influence and participation by non-academics (funders) in academic matters, admin setting the standards over the faculty for the money game rather than education
10) Education Increasingly is Organized to Produce "Efficient Instruction Delivery Systems," what used to be called teachers, to generate "human capital," who would be the students - does not represent education that develops, deepens, broadens the mind with perspective, discernment, historical conscience, diverse knowledge and literacy BUT instead of producing thinkers it produces cogs for the machines...new bits of linked in human capital who do not question but consume...who do not dream but obey
In sum it means narrowed access, expanded inequalities, destroyed shared purposes, devalued knowledge & research, research that is contoured towards corporate rather than public ends, and education that leaves debt ridden husks rather than enlightened human beings in search for truth and the greatest goods. It means a systematized law school complex that does not teach the practice of "defending liberty & pursuing justice" but rather a set of cultural myths and false expectations created to lure unsuspecting lambs to the slaughter.
Till Next Time!!! You fight the fights that need fighting!!!